[Written Thursday evening, March 15]
YIKES….. are we ready to go????… last minute packing is done and preparations are being made for the team to meet at the La Crosse airport tomorrow morning (3.16.2012) at 4:30am.
Several of you have asked about our flight schedule and how many hours this trip takes.
* We fly out of La Crosse on Friday, March 16th at 6:30am and spend 8 hours in Detroit (substantial cost savings to travel early and have this LONG layover).
6:30AM – 9:10AM: Flight from La Crosse to Detroit [6:30AM – 8:10AM CT]
* We leave Detroit at 5pm and arrive in Amsterdam at 6am on the morning of Saturday, March 17.
5:00PM – 5:55AM (3/17): Flight from Detroit to Amsterdam [4:00PM – 11:55PM CT (3/16)]
* We arrive at Kilimanjaro airport about 9pm on Saturday – remember we will be EIGHT hours ahead of WI/MN time (so we should be getting there about noon on Saturday your time). We will load the luggage on the top of vans and have an hour drive to Arusha where we will spend the night. It will be very dark as the sun shines 12 hours – approximately 6:30am to 6:30pm and there are relatively few street lights.
10:15AM – 8:40PM: Flight from Amsterdam to Kilimanjaro [4:15AM – 12:40PM CT]
* Sunday we have a tour of the town of Arusha and eat a late lunch at ‘Shanga’ a coffee plantation with a craft and dining facility employing handicapped Tanzanians. They make glass beads by recycling glass beverage bottles and firing the beads in open-air fire kilns.
* We will overnight at the same hotel in Arusha and Monday morning we will drive back to the airport. It will be the teams first glimpse of daily life as school kids and adults are all walking along the roadside, herding cattle, balancing supplies on their heads, bicycling. It’s a site I will never tire of seeing and so fun to watch others experience. We will fly to Mwanza, retie all the luggage on top of Toyota Land Cruisers and drive 30 minutes to Nyakato Health Center. We will unpack our many supplies, set up the OR and organize our living space(s) in the bungalow and be ready to start work on Tuesday.
Kevin is planning to meet us at the Kilimanjaro Airport and for all the inquisitive minds (including ours) we will be anxious to hear what happened to the person ‘screaming’ in the middle of the night on Mt. Kilimanjaro….. we’ll let you know with the next blog addition.
Thanks for your prayers and support and for following this journey with us.
Sally for the team
[Update Friday, March 16th]
The team has successfully arrived in Detroit. They arrived ~30 min ahead of schedule and had to wait for a bit on the tarmac prior to being assigned a gate. As I understand it, some of the team will be heading to the Henry Ford museum for awhile today. Their next flight is to Amsterdam at 4:00 PM Central. Keep them in your thoughts and prayers as they continue on their journey!
As the team is en route, here are some pictures they took during their packing night last week:
(click on a photo to enter the gallery-view)