Greetings from the Dental Team…. Nate, Kelly and Heather! We decided to take a little different approach to our turn on the blog (yes we are the renegades of the group), 1 ) we’re doing it as a team, and 2) the format will be as a “top ten list”. So, here are the top ten things we have learned in the short time we have been at Project Mercy.
10) If you want time for naps and soccer do not be on the Dental Team!
9) The best part of a long day is being greeted by all the children on the walk home….. “cameeeera!”
8) Mitmita (a local spice, which has a great spicy kick) is good on everything including pancakes!
7) You are responsible to document in Ethiopia, so it is a good idea to document right after you see a patient!
6) When the water is out, it is possible to Isogel yourself clean!
5) When walking on the road you will get honked at to get out of the way by local traffic, which includes donkeys.
4) You can always “squeeze” in one more patient!
3) Khat (a local plant that is chewed and is a stimulant) causes decay, so not a good idea to start chewing it!
2) Morning runs can be difficult because of the rocky terrain and high elevation. It makes it really hard to breathe when you are 7,500 feet above sea level.
1) Gundersen Global Partners is very fortunate to have such a hard working, committed, compassionate and talented group of people representing the organization. It is a honor to be on team 1, all are taking wonderful care of patients and each other!
We love and miss all of you!
Your Dental Team!