In 2013, Global Partners selected Project Mercy as our new partner in Africa to continue building community-to-community partnerships focused on healthcare, education and community development initiatives.
Here is what Project Mercy has to offer:
- Fully functioning hospital, clinic and dental unit with one surgeon on staff and several contracted physicians.
- K-12 school on campus with about 1,500 students; a new off-site high school will soon open.
- Children’s Home on site with 70+ children who have lost their parents or have a parent who is unable to support them.
- Test gardens to experiment with fruits and vegetables that can be grown in the arid climate.
- Currently raising cattle that can survive the dry weather and limited feed. Very few people in the area have tasted milk and, therefore, the cattle will be a nutritious source of dairy products and meat.
- Chicken and honeybee projects in progress; hoping to start a cheese-making program.
In a general sense, the partnership will strive to improve the overall health of the people and community, which means addressing needs beyond healthcare, such as education, housing, healthy drinking water, agriculture and more.